Sunday, October 29, 2006

If it's worth doing, do it again

Whenever there is a hit movie, you can expect either a sequel or a parody to follow in short order. "Hot Shots!" has the admirable position of being both a parody and having its own sequel: "Hot Shots! Part Deux."

Charlie Sheen portrays Topper Harley, a parody on Tom Cruise's Maverick in "Top Gun."

Valeria Golino (gorgeous -- just gorgeous, and I love her accent!) plays the romantic interest.

But that's not what this blog entry is about.

Sylvester Levay did the score for the first movie, which also featured Ms. Golino singing the Gershwin song, "The Man I Love," and Dion's version of the Bobby Darin hit, "Dream Lover." The CD was released by Varese Sarabande in 1991, and had the following track listing:

  1. "Hot Shots" Main Title 2:38
  2. Sea Maneuvers 1:50
  3. Flash Back 1:45
  4. This Is for You Dad 1:37
  5. Saboteurs :33
  6. Enemy Planes 1:00
  7. Topper Returns 1:23
  8. Love Theme (The Fruit Seduction) 2:12
  9. The Take Off 1:43
  10. Rescue/Drive to Hospital 1:03
  11. Father's Theme :53
  12. Training Flight 1:38
  13. The Man I Love 2:49
  14. Aerial Combat 1:56
  15. The Man I Love (Reprise) :35
  16. The Kiss :46
  17. Dream Lover 2:40
It's a short album, which has been common with Varese Sarabande. You can complain about the lack of substance, but you've got to admit that VS has issued a lot of soundtracks that otherwise might never have been released at all.

The "Hot Shots!" CD is out of print now, although it can be purchased through Amazon.com or eBay and can be found in local used CD stores. I have included a link to MP3s of the album, complete with cover art for those willing to settle for electronic rips instead of the original, commercial release. However, for best sound reproduction, as well as the delight of holding a physical, material object in your own hands, I recommend purchasing an actual disc.

"Hot Shots!" did so well at the box office, they came out a couple years later with "Hot Shots! Part Deux." It, too, parodied other films, including Sylvester Stallone's "Rambo III."

Varese Sarabande again carried the release of the soundtrack, in 1993, but this time Basil Poledouris composed the music. Discerning listeners -- or those who read the fine print on the back cover -- will note tracks containing references to "Innamorata" by Harry Warren and Jack Brooks, "Father Knows Best" by Irving Friedman and Don Farris, and "Sea Hunt" by Ray Llewelyn.

This is the track listing:

  1. Main Title 1:29
  2. Dipsong Fight 3:35
  3. The 3 Bears/Flurvian Sea 3:02
  4. Reel 5 3:17
  5. Colonel Torture 3:20
  6. Gotta Light? 6:06
  7. Compound Escape 4:03
  8. Saddam Battles/Freedom Fighters 4:59
Yes, it is another short one from Varese Sarabande, but it's Basil Poledouris!

By the way, it pays to read the back cover -- it carries over the goofiness found in the movie's end credits. For example, after giving credit for the liner notes to Kevin Mulhall, it states, "Wrong Notes: The Third Violinist."

And while I'm on the topic, I can't tell how many times I've ended up the only one in the theater as everyone else jumps and flees as the credits begin to roll. As a result, I have been one of the rare few to see things the filmmakers have put at the end of their movies. It doesn't happen all the time, but you just aren't getting your full money's worth if you attempt to escape the darkness before the credits end.

I've also provided a link for MP3s to "Part Deux," which is also out of print. My statements above still hold. The password for both links is in the Comments.

I am sharing this music because of my love for it, and because it isn't available commercially anymore. You can still acquire it used, as already mentioned. Copyright owners offended by my efforts to keep their music alive and vibrant should contact me and, upon their request, I will remove the links.

1 Comments:

Blogger K.T. Bastard said...

Password: KTB

October 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home