Saturday, October 28, 2006

Death is not the end

I saw the movie "Ghost" as a sneak preview, just before it was released to the general public. The year was 1990 and I was 14 years into a doomed marriage, although I wasn't aware of it at the time. While my wife and I had had our differences -- and had already started to grow apart without realizing it -- I remained very much in love with her at this time. The movie hit me rather hard emotionally and, without embarrassment, I confess that I cried.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, you might want to visit the "Ghost" page at imdb.com. Better yet, catch the movie on TV or DVD.

There were at least two soundtrack releases for "Ghost." They were pretty much the same thing, although on different labels. They even had the same cover image, with slight alteration. The second release included two "bonus" tracks not available the first time around. The track listings also indicate a difference of a second's duration on two of the tracks.

The first release was by Varese Sarabande:

  1. Unchained Melody 3:35
  2. Ghost 7:24
  3. Sam 5:33
  4. Ditto 3:20
  5. Carl 4:06
  6. Molly 6:17
  7. Unchained Melody 4:01
  8. End Credits 4:16

Five years later, Milan rereleased "Ghost" with a couple of "bonus" tracks. Here's the listing:

  1. Unchained Melody 3:36
  2. Ghost 7:24
  3. Sam 5:33
  4. Ditto 3:19
  5. Carl 4:06
  6. Molly 6:17
  7. Unchained Melody 4:01
  8. End Credits 4:16
  9. Fire Escape 3:12
  10. Oda Mae & Carl 3:55
That's a little more than 7 minutes of additional music, and a tweaking on the time count for tracks 1 and 6.

Both of these CDs -- as originally released -- appear to be out of print, although they can be acquired in both new and used condition through affiliates of Amazon.com. In 2005, however, Milan Records issued a revised release with the same music as its 1995 version, along with an exclusive interview with the composer, Maurice Jarre, "talking about his past projects, recording of 'Ghost' and his thoughts on film music and the industry over the years." This information comes from Milan's Web site. You can buy the "Silver Screen Edition - Digitally Remastered" of "Ghost," complete with Jarre's commentary, at Amazon.com.

I have posted MP3s of both out-of-print versions, complete with cover images, for those cheap bastards who prefer to listen to "free" versions. For those who argue that this is theft, that the artists and the labels involved are being ripped off because they receive no more compensation, I would ask how you feel about the sale of used CDs; there is no compensation in that case, either. Same thing with checking a CD out at the library. The MP3s are ripped at 192 kbps, which sounds good enough for the casual listener but is by no means audiophile level -- buy the disc for the best sound. In addition to the Silver Screen Edition, the earlier Milan and Varese Sarabande releases can be obtained through Amazon.com, eBay and other sources, including local used CD stores. I know they would appreciate your business.

The password can be found in the Comments.

Copyright holders who are offended by my efforts to keep their music alive and vibrant may contact me and, at their request, I will delete the links.

3 Comments:

Blogger K.T. Bastard said...

Password: KTB

October 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

unchained melody has to be one of the most vomit inducing tunes ever,the movie ghost was a steaming pile and so is this soundtrack,share something decent instead of piles of horse shit

November 05, 2006  
Blogger K.T. Bastard said...

Dear "anonymous"

I know you'll never be back to see my response, because you are too much of a coward to identify yourself, and all you want to do is stir up emotions and scurry on to the next victim.

But for others who visit this site, I am leaving your comment in place to show why, from now on, all comments will be moderated. Some assholes ruin things for everyone else.

You aren't being charged a penny for these MP3s, so you have no right to complain if you don't like the selection. There are others out there who happen to like Alex North's theme from "Unchained," and who enjoyed the three-hanky movie and the performances of the lead characters.

Whoopi Goldberg won an Oscar for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, and Bruce Joel Rubin won an Oscar for Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen. Maurice Jarre won the ASCAP Award for Top Box Office Films. The Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films presented Saturn Awards to Demi Moore for Best Actress, Whoopi Goldberg for Best Supporting Actress, and to the movie itself for Best Fantasy Film. Ms. Goldberg also was presented a Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture.

There were plenty of other nominations and awards for this "steaming pile," which suggests, perhaps, your taste runs to the scatological as opposed to film appreciation.

So, yes, This Is Liberty Hall, where you may spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard. But you've also got to expect a response when you start flinging shit.

By the way, "anonymous," you DID download the soundtrack, didn't you?

November 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home